ACL injuries are the most common sport-related knee injury.
Non-surgical treatment is an option for the elderly or less physically active patients who choose to modify their daily activities and do not want surgery at this time.
Rehabilitation with our physiotherapist is very important and includes:
- Quadriceps and Hamstring strengthening
- Core stabilisation
- Proprioceptive training
- Activity modification (avoid pivoting sports)
- ACL sport braces.
Surgery is the mainstay of treatment for:
- Athletes with ACL injuries – especially pivoting and cutting sport activities
- Isolated ACL with instability
- Displaced meniscal tear
- Failure of conservative management
- Work-related indications: physical combat: police, defence force, etc.
- Difficulty performing daily activities.
The practice uses autograft â€’ bone patellar tendon bone or hamstrings depending on your daily activities.